Isn’t it funny how easy it is to fall into old habits?
Well, that didn’t happen.
Some how, some way, when I looked at the calendar last week and scheduled my posts, I got all confused and posted on my regular post schedule of Monday & Thursday. How routine is that?
So to ask for your forgiveness, I made you these amazing cookies.
I knew I had to do something special. Something that would leave you with memories of chocolate, dreaming of mint, and forgetting all about my itsy bitsy snafu.
Chocolately, creamy, minty, chocolately. Yes, I said chocolately twice. It’s twice as chocolately and packs a minty punch. Super easy and fun to make. My favorite part was watching them puff and then crack into the most beautiful displays in the oven.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons green colored sugar (optional)
- 1 bag Hersheys Kisses (Mint Truffle flavored)
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, and eggs until well mixed. Whisk in extracts.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix in a mixer until thoroughly combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough into ½ Tablespoon balls. Roll balls into the mixture of powdered sugar and green sugar.
- Place the balls on your cookie sheets roughly about 1½ inches apart. They will flatten a bit, so give them a bit of room.
- Bake for 11 minutes, until the cookies crackle and they look done, but not overcooked.
- While the cookies are baking, unwrap the kisses. It’s best if you make room in your refrigerator or freezer to place the cookie sheets. When the cookies come out of the oven, immediately place a kiss in the center of each cookie, pressing lightly. (The kisses will start to melt, so it’s best if you are able to place the cookie sheet (with the kiss cookies still on it) directly into the refrigerator until the kisses cool and set up). This takes about ~5 minutes.